Playing Golf in Costa Rica
Costa Rica is growing as a golf destination due to its great weather, mountain views and growing list of oceanside golf courses. The golf courses in Costa Rica have been rated among the best in the world and easily rank as the best in Central America. This is the list of courses in Costa Rica:
For the public courses (not requiring guest or membership status, discounts and last minute tee times requests are available here.
1. Reserva Conchal: The newly branded Westin Reserva Conchal resort is located in Brasilito area of Guanacaste. The Reserva Conchal golf course is Audubon-certified course and it's layout includes spectacular ocean views and great holes like the 210 yard par 3 17th hole that requires a 180 yard shot over water with ocean breezes affecting your shot - make this course a must. You need to be a Westin Playa Conchal hotel guest or Conchal condo rental. Course Reservations: Call Pro Shop at (506) 2654-4123 - Rates: Ranging from $150-$165
2. Hacienda Pinilla: Inside the Hacienda Pinilla resort near the town of Tamarindo, Guanacaste, this course has beautiful ocean views of the Hacienda Pinilla resort. This 7,300-yard, par 72 masterpiece golf course signature hole is the par 3 149 yard 15th hole that offers a spectacular ocean view. Type: Resort Course Reservations: Call Pro Shop at(506) 2680 3000. Rates: Ranging from $130 - $185
3. Four Seasons This 6,788 yard Arnold Palmer championship course sits in the Papagayo Peninsula just minutes from Liberia International Airport. This course was rated in the top 50 courses in the world. Type: Private Resort Course. Reservations: Call Pro Shop at (506) 2696-0000 - Rates: $195
4. Marriott Los Sueños: Located inside the Marriott resort in Herradura/Jaco area, this course was landscaped to include exotic native plants, macaws, monkeys and orchids. Type: Resort Public Course Reservations: Call Pro Shop at (506) 2630 9012. Cost from $145 to $160
5. Los Delfines: Located in Tambor at the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula, this 6,264 yard course consists of nine holes that have an unbelievable setting, Costa Rica's tropical scenery. Type: Resort course Reservations: Call the Pro Shop at (506) 2683-0294. Rates: $90
6. Valle del Sol: Located in the Santa Ana area of San Jose, this 7,011 yard championship course offers ample and waved fairways surrounded by majestic trees and 15 large lakes which attract diversified and lively wild life, where more than 20 different bird species can be observed. Type: Public Course. Reservations: Call Pro Shop at 2282-9222. Rates: $30- $94
7. Cariari Country Club: Located in Cuidad Cariari community between the airport and San Jose, this 6.590 yard George Fazio championship course is a local favorite due it's challenging tight fairways, wooded rough and guarded greens, as well as beautiful mountain views. Type: Private Course. Reservations: You need to be a guest of the Ramada Herradura hotel to play this course or use Tee Times Costa Rica online reservations. Rates: $100 for weekend play or $60 during the week.
8. Los Reyes Located in La Guacima near Alajuela, this 5,834 yard Robertson Ward course has well maintained and attractive fairways, as well as well tended greens. Type: Semi-Private course. Reservations: Call Pro Shop at (506) 2438-0004. Rates: $90
9. Monteran: Located in the east side of San Jose, this 2,243 yard Douglas Beach par 3 course offers city views and a course that will test your mid to short game. Type: Private course. Reservations: Call Pro Shop at (506) 2273-8779.
10. Costa Rica Country Club: Located in the Escazu area of San Jose, this 6,031 yard course offers tight fairways with rolling hills and excellent mountain views. Opened in 1940, this country club course is full of tradition. Type: Private course Reservations: You need to be invited to play. This is a 9 hole ciourse.
Costa Rica golf news:
Most courses offer online reservations and even last minute green fees that save you lots of money. It allows you to plan your trip to Costa Rica.
The Tamarindo Diria has a driving range and is 15 minutes from Hacienda Pinilla, but does not currently have a golf course. The Tango Mar hotel also does have an executive type golf course. It is 15-20 minutes from Los Delfines course.
There are several projects under construction like Guanacaste Country Club, Liberia County Village and Cabo Caletas, but they are looking at 2011 at least.
New Course: The San Buenas golf course in Dominical opened and offers nine holes right now. They will have the full 18 holes early 2011.
Buying a golf property or looking to invest in a golf community under construction? I suggest that you ask the seller one simple question: Do you have the MINAE permits? If the answer is not yes, then the project could be years (not exaggerating) before they get permission to build.
A thank you goes to Fabio Solano of Tee Times in Costa Rica for his valuable contribution.